This year we figured out that one way to dramatically showcase the parts and accessories featured in our 2011 Performance Machine catalog would be to renovate a trio of classic motorcycles. That way, we could illustrate in living color just what PM motorcycle parts and accessories can do for your machine.
Earlier this month, we showed you a facelift on a 2011 Harley-Davidson Sportster 48, where we created a sleek bike with a killer “drag race” look (see PM’s Facelift on a Trio of Bikes Includes Everything but the Lipstick). Today’s blog entry focuses on the second of these three builds — a 2011 Harley-Davidson Fatboy LO. The third refurbished bike will appear in this spot week after next. All three bikes were filmed for our 2011 ad campaigns and catalog, and all three are now making their way across the country, drawing appreciative crowds at a number of motorcycles rallies, bike shows and industry expos.
So check out the “before” and “after” photos of this week’s featured bike. And witness the magic it entailed to finesse this fine Fatboy:
We outfitted this bike with the following PM parts:
- 18-inch by 3.5-inch Contrast Cut Platinum Seven wheel
- 18-inch by 5.5-inch Contrast Cut Platinum Seven wheel
- Matching Discs and Belt Sprocket
- Super Gas Air Cleaner with matching Seven faceplate
- Six-piston front caliper and Four-Piston rear caliper
- Contour Hydraulic Brake Master Cylinder
- Contour Hydraulic Clutch Master Cylinder
- Elite Grips
- PM Floor Boards
- PM Passenger Pegs
- Contour Hydraulic Clutch Slave Housing
- Contour Brake and Shift Levers
- PM Torque Mirrors
In addition, we added the following RSD (Roland Sands Design) parts:
- RSD Tag Bracket
- RSD Tag Fuel Caps
- RSD Rear Bobber fender
- Rocker Box Covers
- Cam Cover
- Bobber Bars (custom painted)
- Solo Seat
When it comes to custom work, we didn’t skimp here either:
- Swapped out the stock fender for RSD’s bobbed version
- The paint was done by Matt at Color Zone
- This one was to be detailed while keeping it simple and LO PRO (low profile).
- The tank was hand airbrushed and depicts a pin-up girl to go along with our ad campaign.
- Vance and Hines 2-into-1 Exhaust
The builder of this bike is Jason Tiedeken, PM’s engineering manager, who similarly took the lead on the redesign of our 2011 Harley-Davidson Sportster 48. In describing the renovated Fatboy LO, Jason says:
”This Fatboy was designed to not only showcase PM’s great product, but to accentuate the style of the Fatboy. We had to keep the floorboards and the wide front wheel because that’s what defines a Fatboy.
Handlebar choice is always crucial and we wanted to add some “bobber” style to the bike and really make it rideable. Black it out and paint a beautiful lady on the tank and you have a modern classic. Enjoy!”
Part 3 of this series will appear right here the Tuesday after next. It will feature a PM-renovated Drag Specialties Road King!