When it comes to showcasing the 2011 Performance Machine catalog, we went out and purchased three classic Harley-Davidson motorcycles and then completely renovated all three. The purpose of this primping was to show you — our customers — just what magic you could perform on your own ride, using PM motorcycle parts and accessories .
Over the past few weeks, we’ve shown you a facelift on a 2011 Harley-Davidson Sportster 48, where we created a sleek bike with a killer blend “drag race/Cafe” look and feel. Next, we completely renovated a 2011 Harley-Davidson Fatboy LO, which highlighted PM’s product offerings as well as retained the Fatboy’s style. That included keeping the floorboards and the wide front wheel.
Today’s blog entry focuses on our third extreme motorcycle makeover, and this time around, the bike to be beautified is a 2002 Drag Specialties Road King.
Below are the “before” and “after” photos of this week’s featured bike.
Bringing a 2002 Road King heavily rooted in Harley nostalgic style up to date can be a challenge, but with sophisticated PM and RSD components and Color Zone’s subtle metal flake and modern paint scheme, this 2002 Road King was reborn. And here’s how we did it:
PM parts used to outfit the bike:
- 18-inch by 3.5-inch Contrast Cut Platinum Element
- 18-inch by 5.5-inch Contrast Cut Platinum Element
- Matching Dual 13-inch Floating Element Front Discs
- Matching Rear 11.5-inch Element Disc and Element Belt Sprocket
- Super Gas Air Cleaner with matching Element faceplate
- Six-piston front calipers and four-piston rear caliper
- Contour Hydraulic Brake Master Cylinder
- Contour Hydraulic Clutch Master Cylinder
- Elite Grips
- PM Floor Boards
- PM Passenger Boards
- PM Touring Bag Latches
- Contour Hydraulic Clutch Slave Housing
- Contour Brake and Shift Levers
- PM Torque Mirrors
RSD (Roland Sands Design) parts used in the build:
- RSD Fuel Caps
- Rocker Box Covers
- Cam Cover
- RSD/V&H Head Pipes
Custom work included:
- Swapped out the stock rear fender for a Phatour Kit that was modified for extended bags
- The paint was expertly applied by Matt at Color Zone Designs
- The paint scheme was to be classic metal flake — flashy but classy and modern.
- Vance and Hines 3.5-inch Black Out Slip-ons.
- Mustang Seat
- Burley Beach Bars
- Braided Brake & Clutch lines.